Saturday, December 5, 2015

Suffer with Dignity

"It is possible to suffer with dignity and without. Most of us in the West don’t understand the art of suffering and experience a thousand fears instead. We cease to be alive, being full of fear, bitterness, hatred and despair…. We have to accept death as part of life, even the most horrible of deaths. And don’t we live an entire life each one of our days, and does it really matter if we live a few days more or less? I am in Poland every day, on the battlefields, if that’s what one can call them. I often see visions of poisonous green smoke; I am with the hungry, with the ill-treated and the dying, every day, but I am also with the jasmine and with that piece of sky beyond my window; there is room for everything in a single life." ~ Etty Hillesum

No comments: