Sunday, August 2, 2015

Who to Love...What to Hate...

You know that thing we like to say - "Love the sinner; hate the sin." I've decided I don't like it.   It's the specificity of it. That "the" in each phrase. Why just that sinner and that sin?

It should be "Love sinners; hate sin." But even then, since every person has sinned at least once, qualifying all of us as sinners, I think it should say, "Love people; hate sin."

And the sin I should be most concerned about -- the sin I should hate the most -- is the sin in my own self. That's where my focus should lie first. The Bible says so when it says to see to the log in my eye first. And when I've finally got all the sin in my own life well in hand (ha!), I can start concerning myself about the sin in you. 

That brings it down to "Love people; hate my sin." That's what I'm choosing.

~ Kay Day

No comments: